For shipping and storage of samples prior to extraction on the Autopure LS, we recommend the following:
Mix blood well after collection into Vacutainer tube to prevent small blood clots from forming.
• Place blood samples on ice or at 4ºC until addition of RBC Lysis Solution.
• If storing samples, place at either 4ºC or -80ºC within 24hours.
• Do not ship samples at ambient temperature. Always ship fresh blood samples overnight on ice. If samples are frozen, ship as quickly as possible on dry ice to prevent the blood from thawing during transport.
• Do not store at -20ºC. Storing blood at -20ºC can result in lower yields and quality of DNA when compared to -80ºC stored blood.
• Do not freeze blood in glass Vacutainer tubes. Blood may be frozen a 15 ml or 50 ml centrifuge tube.
Short term (up to 5 days) • Store blood at 4ºC for up to 5 days.
• Store blood for no longer than 24 hours at room temperature. Long-term (up to 2 years) • For long-term storage, store blood at -70ºC or -80ºC. It is helpful if the blood is stored in plastic tubes in aliquots that will be used for subsequent purification. Blood frozen at -80ºC may be stored for up to 2 years. *Note: DNA yields are reduced by approximately 20% when blood is frozen at -80ºC.
• Do not store blood at –20ºC. Storing blood at this temperature will compromise the samples resulting in reduced yields and quality of the DNA.