QIAcard FTA formats
Non-indicating QIAcard FTA formats are used to collect, stabilize, process, transport and archive pigmented biological samples such as blood, cells and tissue. Advantages include cell lysis on contact, denaturation of proteins and immediate stabilization and protection of nucleic acids.
Features of QIAcard FTA:
- Long-term archiving of samples at room temperature
- Improved process efficiency by immediate DNA capture enabling direct amplification for STR analysis
- Contains chemical denaturants and a free radical scavenger
- Binds DNA tightly while proteins and inhibitors are washed from the matrix
DNA remains tightly bound to FTA while proteins and inhibitors are washed from the matrix. In contrast, proteins remain tightly bound to FTA Elute while DNA is eluted from the matrix.
Forensics; transgenic identification; transfusion medicine/HLA typing; plasmid screening; food and agriculture testing; drug discovery; genomics; STR analysis; animal/Insect identification; whole genome amplification; molecular biology.
DNA Analysis can be performed via:
- Direct amplification
- Standard amplification with rinsing (“punch-in” method)
- Extraction of DNA from the card
QIAcard FTA Gene is a framed card with 3 sample areas: 75 μl maximum volume per sample area; 225 μl maximum total volume per card. These cards are enclosed in a rigid card frame enabling the use of automatic dispensing/pipetting and punching systems. Capture nucleic acid in one easy step ready for downstream applications in less than 30 minutes. DNA collected on FTA Cards is stable for years at room temperature reducing the need for laboratory freezers
QIAcard Bloodstain is a non-Indicating and non-FTA treated card designed for the collection and short-term handling of bodily fluids. Unlike FTA cards, the QIAcard Bloodstain cards are not coated with a protective chemical cocktail and, therefore, bound DNA is as risk of degradation and damage. A protective cover is included for convenient transport of blood and bodily fluids. The labeled QIAcard Bloodstain is placed in the Multi-Barrier Pouch with a packet of desiccant to ensure the blood stain specimen remains dry during storage.
|Property ||QIAcard FTA Classic ||QIAcard FTA Mini ||QIAcard FTA Micro ||QIAcard FTA Gene ||QIAcard FTA Elute Micro ||QIAcard Bloodstain |
|Sample areas per card ||4 ||2 ||1 ||3 ||4 ||4 |
|Max. volume per sample area ||125 µl ||125 µl ||125 µl ||75 µl ||40 µl ||125 µl |
|Pack size ||25/100 cards ||25/100 cards ||25/100 cards ||100 cards ||25/100 cards ||100 cards |
|Direct STR amplification ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
|Elute nucleic acids from card ||Not recommended ||Not recommended ||Not recommended ||Not recommended ||Yes ||Not recommended |
|Long-term storage at RT ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
|Semi-automated processing (e.g., BSD600) ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes |
|Fully automated processing ||No ||No ||No ||Yes ||No ||No |
The QIAcard FTA PlantSaver format with 4 sample areas includes a laminated flap that allows you to vigorously crush plant or insect samples into the FTA matrix without damaging the FTA card.
- DNA captured and stabilized by pressing plant samples onto the FTA matrix or applying homogenate
- Store and collect at room temperature or higher for convenient collection in the field
- Smaller sample size: Only young leaves are required, reducing growing time and speeding research
- Fast purification in 30 minutes: PCR-ready DNA is purified on FTA in 3 simple steps, all in a single tube at room temperature
Analysis of plant DNA by PCR-based assays; detection of Genetically Modified (GM) organisms; marker selected breeding; varietal identification; phylogeny analysis; amplification of low copy number loci; Invader™ assays; multiple displacement amplification, transgenic identification.
Plant tissue is physically crushed on the card and the DNA binds to the matrix. The chemical coating on the FTA card protects the DNA from degradation and allows the cards to be stored at room temperature for extended periods of time. To prepare the sample for PCR, the matrix is washed with two nontoxic aqueous buffers. The DNA remains bound to the matrix throughout purification and a small disk (1.2 or 2 mm in diameter) of the matrix provides enough template for PCR analysis.
QIAcard FTA DMPK formats
Drug Metabolism (DM) Pharmacokinetic (PK) studies provide crucial insight into the way drug candidates behave in the body. These studies are a critical step in drug development.
- DBS microvolume sampling requires only 10—20 μl per sample
- Consistent data are obtained through more serial sampling from individual animals
- Less reliance on composite data
- The 3-step DBS procedure is more straightforward than the cumbersome centrifugation, isolation and clean-up of plasma
- Conveys greater analyte stability through on-substrate clean-up, especially for enzyme-sensitive compounds
- Room temperature stability saves on cost of dry ice shipments and allows remote sampling
Drug Metabolism (DM) Pharmacokinetic (PK) studies with sample material derived from blood, plasma, urine, synovial fluid and cerebrospinal fluid analytes.
Analysis is primarily with HPLC or UHPLC followed by MS/MS detection, direct desorption MS techniques such as DESI. Methanol or aqueous/organic mixtures have been shown to work well for small molecules and aqueous buffers are recommended for proteins. Select a good solvent for the analyte while maintaining compatibility with the HPLC conditions to be used. The choice of DMPK card depends on many factors such as the analyte chemical structure, extraction solvent and analysis workflow.
QIAcard FTA Wash Buffer
QIAcard FTA Wash Buffer is used for purifying nucleic acids captured and stored on FTA cards. This versatile reagent is recommended for use with QIAcard FTA and Indicating FTA Card formats, and EasiCollect formats.
Proprietary chemistry that facilitates DNA release from the FTA matrix ensures high-quality DNA for STR analysis. A 500 ml bottle is available for an increased number of reactions. This reagent can be used to wash punches in the "punch-in" procedure for standard STR amplification. QIAcard FTA Wash Buffer allows for excellent results by removing PCR inhibitors and contaminants that can lower PCR yields.